On Wednesday 21 December 2005 18.32, David Nusinow wrote:

[teams like gnome, kde, d-i, kernel, ...]
> It's pretty simple to found such a team too. All it takes is some
> interested people and an alioth project.

And here you say the most important thing:  it takes *interested* people.
People interested in team maintainership and communication with other
developers can and do form teams.  People not interested in team
maintainership currently most often don't.

In some cases (probably most), the latter are doing a fine job.  In some
cases they don't.  In some cases they use 'help' tags and RFAs, but
sometimes they won't admit it by asking for help - this last category is
the only one that is problematic and I think it's quite small.

Solution?  *IF* people are found who would take over these packages, ask for
change of maintainer.  If maintainer won't give up the badly-maintained
package?  Difficult.  Perhaps QA may want to voice an official verdict that
package X is in need of a new maint?  Perhaps the people interested in
maintaining will just hijack it?  In either cases, toe-stomping is going
on, and rude words or people leaving Debian is likely to follow - but I
don't believe there is an easy solution here, and I don't believe that
forcing team-maint on this class of maintainers will solve the situation.

-- vbi

--
The content of this message may or may not reflect the opinion of me, my
employer, my girlfriend, my cat or anybody else, regardless of the fact