On Wednesday 04 January 2006 00:17, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>   Given that backports.org seems to successfully track kernels on sid
>   already (as per Steinar's comment), and given that I've heard Frans
>   Pop mention the possibility of a sarge d-i update using 2.6.12,

Hmm. That needs a bit of context.
The only way in which the d-i team has so far considered an update of d-i
for Sarge is if a newer kernel version is officially supported for Sarge.

For us this would be easiest if the new version would be included in a
point release, but I personally doubt such a proposal would ever pass the
Stable release manager.

We could also look into this if a new kernel were made part of volatile,
although that would mean d-i would have to be extended in some places to
be able to support that.

Still, first requirement is selection of a kernel that will be supported.
Downside of anything more recent than 2.6.12 is that a lot of structural
changes in d-i would need to be backported to deal with the removal of
devfs and to support the new initrd generators.