On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:36:12PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Thijs Kinkhorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-01-18 10:26]:
> > Mr Zimmerman's reference to Kennedy is an excellent example of such a
> > metaphorical construct. When Kennedy said that, there will undoubtedly
> > have been people who uttered "Hey, he's not German! He's lying!". But
> > luckily most people will have understood what he meant.
>  Then it's still Kennedy's problem, because he didn't claim something
> for others.

Perhaps you'd find the "We are all Americans" saying more on
point. (http://www.worldpress.org/1101we_are_all_americans.htm) Can you
take it to alt.usage.english or something instead though?

FWIW, while I don't call myself an Ubuntu developer, I don't really have
any problem with what Mark and others are saying -- they're trying to
give appropriate acknowledgement that their work's built on ours, which,
frankly I appreciate, and I think benefits Debian immensely. I wouldn't
have any problem with saying Linus or Dave Miller are Debian developers
in the sense meant by Mark and others, and I think it's a pretty cool
property of free software development that they can and do contribute to
Debian without having to actually use it themselves or even particularly
care about it.

Cheers,
aj