On Thu, 25 May 2006, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 24, Reid Priedhorsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > So, does anybody mind if I remove depmod from the module-init-tools init
> > > script?
> > What would happen to people who don't use the Debian kernel packages? In
> "make install" already runs depmod.
>
> > my ideal world, there would still be the option of running depmod at boot;
> > at the very least, I'd like to see a NEWS item explaining what to do if
> > you don't use the Debian kernel packages.

> I object to explaining what has been obvious since kernel modules
> existed: after you install one you must run depmod.

In Debian, up until the removal of on-boot depmod, you did NOT have to run
depmod.  This is a fact, plain and simple.  The fact that this does not hold
true elsewhere doesn't matter, and the fact that our own packaged kernels do
it transparently only causes the issue to be ignored by even more Debian
users.

You are changing something that users *can* and IMHO [some of them] will
probably be bitten by (note: I am *not* against the change), so please add
an entry to NEWS.Debian.  An one-line warning that depmod is not run on boot
anymore is enough, and would be appreciated.

  Henrique Holschuh