> El domingo, 18 de junio de 2006 a las 22:03:32 -0500, Ron Johnson
> escrib?a:
>
>> When I tried to install it as root (using "su -" from an xterm
>> window), it complained about not being able to find DISPLAY.  Unlike
>> Sun Java & Macromedia Flash, it uses a GUI installer.
>
>  I've found "sux" works beautifully :-)

People, are you serious about allowing to run 'foreign' installer as root?

Ok, I agree that it's ok to trust installer source that they will not
install a backdoor into your system.

However, chances that they will write to directories that should be under
control of package manager, or write to system files that should be under
control of package manager or appropriate update scripts or administrator's
hands - are very high.

IMHO, running 'foreign' installers as root is *the* whay to break your
debian system.