On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:22:54 +1000, Hamish Moffatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 01:17:30PM +0200, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
>> A: nothing;
>> B: provides A; conflicts A
>>
>> ... which produces the same result, because you can't install both A
>> and B because B conflicts with (the real package) A.
>>
>> For me, self-conflicts make no sense in every situation.

> Now extend for more than two packages. Should each package list every
> other, require every package to be updated when another is added?

A: nothing;
B: provides A; conflicts A
C: provides A; conflicts A
D: provides A; conflicts A
E: provides A; conflicts A
F: provides A; conflicts A
 .
 .
 .

> Instead they can all provide and conflict a common virtual package.

Or, yes, they can do that.  (In fact, the above is basically the same
thing, except that package A happens to be named the same as the virtual
package.)  But this doesn't give any reason for why package A needs to
conflict with itself.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)