On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 03:34:34PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 09:09:12PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:

> > Care to describe how without using your SCM but apt-get source instead ?

> apt-get source packagename

> Really, what is the problem here?

With a system like dpatch when one downloads the source package it
includes any modifications made to upstream as a series of logically
separate patches, hopefully helping to document what the purpose of each
individual modification is or at least providing information on which
sets of changes go together.  This information makes it much easier to
understand what has been modified for the package and why.  This is
especially useful where you're trying to do something like figure out
behaviour which diverges from upstream.

Similar information should be provided by a revision control system but
normally only with the repository.