On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 09:15:05AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> The very same "debian patch manager" clearly identifies patches you've
> produced against a certain upstream version and if I want to see the text of
> your diffs altering src/file.c|h|whatever, not just a mere changelog entry, I
> must track your SCM repo and its logs (learning a debian patch manager is

No, you must just: zcat packagename-blah.diff.gz | less

> certainly easier as compared to any SCM and there are certainly more SCM out
> there than debian patch managers). Why do I need to track your changes to the
> upstream code ? Probably because I want to be sure that you haven't added any
> offending changes or any other defects to the upstream source code when
> upstream claims that their branch is working properly. Now you want to kill

And the Debian diff will show you that.

> that important information from the debian source package itself and make
> like of people even harded to find out your SCM, learn to use it and track
> down the changes made to the upstream branch. I don't find that very
> impresive, and I think Security Team will not be impressed too.

Why don't you stop speculating about what they think and just ask them
for their opinion?

Someone from the QA team already offered an opinion, and it wasn't
yours.

> > They don't have to know anything about the SCM to manipulate a monolithic
> > diff.gz package.  This is in contrast to a "patch-managed" package, where
> > you *MUST* learn the patch management system to make a minimal, useful NMU
> > patch.
>
> Seems like you don't consider clearly identified patches prepared against a
> given upstream version important, and (as you said in a previous message) a
> mere changelog entries should be enough for you. This is just a very
> interesting way of tracking changes ;-)

No patch management system that I've seen tracks changes.  It shows the
current patches against upstream, not history for all time.  This is a
feature you get ONLY with a VCS, or manually by using
shapshot.debian.net.