Wouter Verhelst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Steve Langasek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Even more alternatively, these tools should not fail horribly when
> writing to directories in $HOME seems impossible for some reason. That
> falls under 'standard good programming practices'.

This misses the point.  Of course no build process may fail if writing
to $HOME is impossible, and if they do they have a RC bug.

There's a different issue, though:  Many tools create a user-specific
configuration or preferences directory in $HOME when they are first
used.  The problem with that is that these files override the
configuration in /etc/, but are not subject to dpkg conffile handling.
As a result, a tool on a buildd might use settings that were the default
in a previous version, but are now suboptimal.

Of course the clean solution would be to signal to the tools not to look
and write into HOME, but it's hardly realistic to assume that all tools
used (an ever increasing and changing set) will always follow such a
rule.  Therefore the idea to change HOME to something in the build
directory.  Maybe just unsetting it might do as well.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)