On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:32:46 -0400
Joey Hess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > I chose Debian as a development platform for my own reasons and my
> > decision was "not deemed to be wise" in the eyes of some of my
> > upstream colleagues. As the newbie to that particular team, I was
> > under significant pressure to "upgrade to Fedora or SuSE". Debian
> > needs to reclaim the respect of upstream development teams and part
> > of that is making it *a lot* easier to do upstream development on
> > Debian without needing to become a DD as well. Debian is respected
> > as a distribution for users because of the multiple architecture
> > support and the patches and bug reports that are forwarded upstream
> > - what is missing (IMHO) is respect for Debian as the distribution
> > of choice for upstream development itself.
>
> Are you generalising from your one poor personal experience with a
> non-Debian-friendly upstream, or do you have a significant body of
> data that I don't about masses of upsteams who are not Debian
> friendly?

Generalising - which probably isn't giving me the best overview, you're
right.

> My impression has always been that a significant proportion of
> upstreams use Debian, or are at least familiar with it. I base this
> on, amoung other things, interacting with hundreds of different
> upstreams whose packages I have maintained in Debian, as well as
> working in linux companies and personally knowing a lot of upstream
> developers.

Do you then think that Debian should not require basic API docs if
upstream don't provide them - even if the information is available
(and properly distributable) from outside the .orig ?

> The only significant documentation that is missing in Debian that I
> know of is GFDL licensed docs which have been removed from main.
> Aside from that, if a library is missing documentation, it's missing
> it because it's not available upsteam either.

The 'big' libraries are very well documented, it's the smaller ones.
Individually these may not be significant but collectively, I think
there is an appreciable gap in the API docs. Recently, I've been working
with libarchive (deb-gview) and libgtkhtml (gtk2 port of quicklist).
libarchive has nicely commented headers which could be turned into HTML
but aren't, libgtkhtml has only a test program. (I've missed one -doc
package myself - just noticed that libgpewidget can build a -doc
package so that's just gone on the ToDO list along with a few wishlist
bugs for the above packages.)

Maybe instead of seeking API docs as a requirement it would be better
to seek a section under "Best Practise" that outlines how man (3) can
be used to provide at least an introduction to the API when the .orig
does not contain docs itself?

--

Neil Williams