On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 14:40 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Apport sends complete core dumps, which is a very bad idea. The dumps
> > can be huge (for desktop applications they often grow beyond 200MB) and
> > they can contain gazillions of sensitive information.
>
>  But Apport is written already, and it's also the path that Windows
>  crash report and Mozilla's talkback tools have taken; these
>  corporations might not represent our ideals, but they present examples
>  of deployed and working solutions.

Windows minidumps are typically <100 KB.  My understand is that Mozilla
is using basically the same format with extensions to cover other
platforms and architectures.

>  I don't think it's still 200 MB compressed, but some input from Ubuntu
>  folks could help.

Yes, the example shown in the screenshot is much smaller than that.
There must be some trimming.

> > Using a central server for symbol lookup like Ben proposed looks like a
> > better idea. It needs gdb to be adapted or wrapped to access them
> > correctly, though.
<snip>

In fact, reading through that Wiki page suggests that the various
"retrace" tools do that.  So perhaps Apport would be suitable for
Debian, though we would need to expand architecture support.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...