Hi all,

  As you probably noticed, Michael Vogt uploaded apt 0.7.2 to unstable
with support for detecting automatically installed packages.  I've
ported aptitude to use the new apt interfaces instead of its internal
implementation, and uploaded the result to experimental.

  The ported aptitude should merge its database of automatically
installed packages into the apt database -- any packages listed as
automatic in either database will become automatic.

  Since this required touching a fair chunk of the internal aptitude
logic, I'd appreciate it if people could test this before I release it
into the wild.  Here are a few general things to watch out for that
should NOT happen and should be reported as bugs:

  * aptitude not thinking that packages automatically installed by
    apt-get et al are automatic.

  * aptitude forgetting the automatic status of packages that were
    installed with old versions of aptitude.

  * aptitude not saving automatic states so that apt-get can see them.

  * aptitude failing to set automatic states when it should.

  * aptitude's "undo" command not restoring automatic states.

  * Any other weirdness regardless of whether it affects automatic
    states.

  You might want to back up /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates before running
the new aptitude, just in case you encounter a nasty bug.

  If I don't hear about any show-stoppers in the next week or so, I'll
upload the new version of aptitude to unstable.  Positive reports of it
working would also be good, so I know that someone out there really is
testing. :-)

   Thanks,
  Daniel