On 26-Jul-07, 13:41 (CDT), Russ Allbery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Steve Greenland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > 3. The actual contents and structure of the default menu in each WM etc.
> > This is a matter of Policy and ENTIRELY orthogonal to issues 1 and 2.
> > In particular, just saying "we're going to use the FDo format now" does
> > nothing to prevent the kind of mess you see in the Debian menu. OTOH,
> > setting an acceptable policy would clean up not only the GNOME menu but
> > all the other menu systems.
>
> Except that the freedesktop.org specification comes with its own set of
> categories, registration system, and classification system, which does not
> match the Debian system.  I suppose we could use the format without using
> its categorization system, but that seems a bit strange and Debian's
> current menu structure doesn't have the concept of primary and additional
> categories the way that the freedesktop.org specification does.

That's okay. It's just a simple matter of policy making :-)

Or, the Debian GNOME maintainers (and KDE maintainers, etc.) can just
ignore the Debian menu entries and make a package of FDo menu entries
for all the packages they want in their menu.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net