Sam Hocevar wrote:

   That's right, we don't know the licensing terms of binary files.
But if we stop at the "it's not sufficient" argument, we'll never get
anywhere, because it is impossible for a source package to determine the
exact licensing terms of its binary packages. I'll leave that to another
proposal.

Sorry, I don't want to be a nuisance, but this has been puzzling me for a few days now - I can't figure out how the license of a binary package compiled from a source package could not be derived by combining the licenses of the relevant source files?

Would someone mind giving an example, just to stop it bugging me?

Regards, Dave.