On Thu, Jul 30 2009, Gustavo Franco wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Manoj Srivastava<sriva...@debian.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>        I would like to set up a selinux related release goal for
>>  Squeeze.
>>
>>  Developer assiociated:  Manoj Srivastava (Perhaps also Russell Coker,
>>                         but I have not discussed this with him)
>>  Issues to be solved:
>>   (a) Get all Debian patches to the reference security policy merged in
>>       upstream.  Status: In progress, we have all patches submitted,
>>       some need to be tweaked and resubmitted based on feedback
>>        Time line: 1-2 months, depending on free tie I have
>>   (b) Update reference security policy to allow standard machines to be
>>       in enforcing mode.
>>       enforcing mode, but real machines are somewhat crippled; these
>>       denials need to be inspected, and determination needs to be made
>>       for how to resolve them (no not want security holes enshrined in
>>       policy)
>>      Time line: 6-8 months (can be done in tandem with a, if here were
>>      more people working on it)
>>   (c) Make it easier to run in struct (no unconfined.pp module)
>>       mode. This needs firstly documentation, and secondly, additional
>>       tweaks to policy to make it work. Russell has a play machine
>>       where it all works, but those changes are not in the reference
>>       policy -- and some of them might not be fit to be in ref policy
>>       at all.
>>      Time line: 9-12 months
>>
>>        The actual non-policy packages are now well in sync with
>>  upstream,  so the weak point is the security policy.
>>
>>        Ideally, the goal would be to have Squeeze certifiable at EAL-4,
>>  at least the "standard" install (no optional packages), if someone with
>>  deep pockets were willing to actually pay for the certification, and be
>>  willing to push through the process.
>
> Which parts of the work you described above would be needed to Squeeze
> be certifiable at EAL-4? All of them?

        Making a Debian release EAL-4 certifiable would go beyond
 (perhaps far beyond) just making strict policy work, but all three
 above would be a minimal requirement.

> Based on your timeline, it seems A is on track to make Squeeze, we
> should get more people to work with you on B (setting as a goal) and C
> would be a no go for this release, jmo. Am I wrong?

        Well, that would depend on when the freeze happens. If we freeze
 a year from now, I think there is a fighting chance all these can be
 accomplished.

        manoj
--
The shortest measurable interval of time is the time between the moment
I put a little extra aside for a sudden emergency and the arrival of