Raul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Say, ferinstance, that several revisions of a package are installed
> and there are subtly different arguments each time.  Or, that package
> installation fails, is backed out, then installed then reconfigured?

Several clients or servers?  Clients would remove or install
themselves whenever in their prerm and postinstall, respectively.

You could of course have several hooks for one service.

> Simplest solution is to only track the last hookfile event, but
> that only works if each call is complete unto itself.  On the other
> hand, we want to maintain existing configuration information,
> should the system administrator have needed to reconfigure things.

The calls are complete unto themselves, as I allow any arbitrary
arguments to be added to the end.  The server doesn't have to
interpret every argument, only the ones which apply to it.

For example there might be an X and a console server for a particular
service.  The client would install itself with all the information
that both need.  Yes, there's no way that a client can provide
different information to different servers of the same service, but
that's not necessarily a bad thing.  You focus on the service, not the
individual clients and servers.

Guy