Le Wed, May 16, 2012 at 07:45:24PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <ple...@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Also, it is very sad that, as a project, we can not decide whether we go
> > for 3.0 (git) or not, or have a concrete list of resolvable objections
> > from the people whose work is direclty impacted by the use of this
> > format.
>
> We know what a primary concrete objection is.  We discussed it at length
> at DebConf two years ago, and then on debian-devel afterwards.  Uploading
> a Git archive requires reviewing the entire contents of the archive, not
> just the current code, for licensing issues, which is pretty painful from
> the ftp-master perspective.
>
> There was never really a satisfactory resolution to that discussion.

Hi Russ and everybody,

it is indeed hard to reach conclusions when discussing on high-traffic mailing
lists.

I have attempted to summarise some elements of discussion on wiki.debian.org.
Please let me know if I have misunderstood or misrepresented people's
contributions, and I will correct.  Please of course feel free to correct or
update by yourself.

  http://wiki.debian.org/GitSrc#Discussion

In the case of the initial copryight review, which is if I understand well the
strongest objection, wouldn't it be solved if the first upload to Debian would
contain as few history as possible ?  Then the quantity of history in the
source packages could be allowed to grow, for instance up to one or two
previous stable releases.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy