Hi Mike,

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:40:59 -0400, Michael Gilbert <mgilb...@debian.org>
wrote:
> We've been getting a few bug reports from users attempting to install
> multiarch wine who have yet to manually enable multiarch itself.
> Obviously that is a failure on their part, and is easily correctable.
> However, I wonder if we can't make such migrations a bit more
> straightforward?

I fail to see how it is a failure on the part of the users. How are they
supposed to know that wine is now a multiarch-only package on *-amd64? One
might expect unstable-tracking users to find out for themselves, but what
will happen when users upgrade from Squeeze? We could ask for a specific
mention in the release notes, but we'll still end up with bug reports from
users who haven't read them...

> In particular, I filed a bug against dpkg requesting that it produce
> more informative error messages in these cases [0], but I wonder if a
> part of the solution shouldn't be more automated or at least presented
> at a higher level through apt/aptitude, etc?

Having dpkg produce more informative error messages won't help users
upgrading with apt-get or aptitude. I just rebuilt a Squeeze amd64 system to
try the upgrade, and the only solutions offered are either to hold the wine
package, or remove it - so dpkg never gets a chance to attempt to process the
upgrade.

> Also, limitations in the existing testing migration tools are making
> wine not considered for wheezy, since those tools don't check whether
> dependencies for 'Multi-Arch: allowed' packages are satisfied by
> packages on other architectures.

Short of packaging Wine64, might it be possible to have wine-bin on amd64 and
kfreebsd-amd64 be a dummy package containing only a wine script which
provides appropriate instructions, registered as a very-low-priority
alternative using the existing infrastructure?

Regards,

Stephen