On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM, David Kalnischkies  wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Michael Gilbert  wrote:
>> In particular, I filed a bug against dpkg requesting that it produce
>> more informative error messages in these cases [0], but I wonder if a
>> part of the solution shouldn't be more automated or at least presented
>> at a higher level through apt/aptitude, etc?
>
> Chicken or the egg?
>
> You need to upgrade to support MultiArch,
> but you need MultiArch to upgradeā€¦
> (beside, how would the detection for such a message look like?)

A squeeze-proposed-update could help that along, right?

So, it appears that "allowed" is the wrong flag (although the Ubuntu
wine package also uses "allowed" in that sense).  The algorithm would
look something like:

if package depends on a missing native package
  if package is set with some new "Multi-Arch: no-native" flag
    present multiarch instructions
  else
    present missing package error

Although that may not be necessary.  I'm implementing a wine-bin |
wine64-bin solution where the wine64-bin package simply presents
multiarch instructions.  It's not very elegant or ideal, but it will
in fact help users along.

Best wishes,
Mike