On 25 Apr 2014 15:15, "Solal" <solal.rast...@me.com> wrote:

> Why not just take the Free Software Definition[0] instead lose a lot of
> time in specific guidelines.
> I think use the Free System Distribution Guidelines published by the
> FSF[1] is the best way. Use the FSDG instead of the DFSG will :
> -Be more efficient instead of lose a lot of time in the DFSG.
> -Be sure to be in the 100% free GNU/Linux distros list of the FSF.

One is not a superset of the other. The two documents are incompatible. As
one example each way - In debian, we consider GFDL license with invariant
texts to be non-free. Whilst FSDG, disqualifies providing compatible
archives of non-free software.

How are you measuring efficiency / loosing time here? Given the non-trivial
cost of switch and more restrictive terms of FSDG would require more audit
and ongoing work.

The FSF 100% free list is not a deal-breaker pretty much for everyone.

What specific aspects of FSDG do you find to not be met by DFSG?

I am not sure if DFSG predates FSDG or not, but DFSG was used as a basis
for free software definition as published by Opens Source Initiative (OSI)
thus many organisations, including the Linux Foundation, do recognise
Debian as a free operating system.

To answer the topic of your email - yes by large DFSG has been extremely
useful (especially in the early days of pleora of self-written licenses) to
current times with established license terms and non-trivial
compatibilities between them. It is concise and easy to read and
understand. Widely accepted by everyone else. Switching to a different
metric will not magically resolved all licensin issues (patents, trademark
violations, copyright assignments etc.) nor make upstream tarballs to be
magically correct and acceptable.

Regards,

Dimitri.