On 2016-09-18 at 08:40, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 02:00:26PM +0200, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
>
>> you will end being a community of geeks developing SW for
>> themselves only.
>
> Debian is a volunteer project made by its users.
>
> So we are already a community developing SW for ourselves, the
> users, and there is nothing wrong with that.
>
> Once you realize that "people making Debian" and "its users" are
> really the same thing, you will see why this discussion does not make
> much sense.

One nitpick:

There are many, many people who are users of Debian who do not
contribute to the development of Debian, except possibly by way of
filing bug reports.

As such, "people making Debian" is at most a subset of "users of
Debian", not another term for the same set.

Yes, the developers of Debian are developing software for themselves -
but I'm pretty sure the point of what you quoted is in the word "only",
which you omitted from your rephrasing, and I'm not at all sure even all
Debian contributors would agree that they are contributing to Debian
_only_ for themselves and other Debian contributors.

--
   The Wanderer