On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 07:40:13PM +0100, Roger Lynn wrote:
> On 10/07/17 19:40, Marvin Renich wrote:
>
> <snip lots of good arguments>
>
> > There is an easy fix to revert the default behavior while still allowing
> > knowledgeable sysadmins to get the new behavior.  On the other hand,
> > those who need to administer systems but are not sysadmins by trade (and
> > thus will have to do significantly more research to even know that the
> > older behavior is possible) are the ones who need the older behavior as
> > the default.
>
> This caught me out on a recent new installation, which gave me these new
> names which are too complicated to be usable. I wasted hours working out
> what had happened, how to fix it and how to write a udev rules file from
> scratch. And having just read this thread, I've discovered that the rules
> I've written are themselves apparently unreliable, for example:
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="1c:1b:0d:9a:34:98", NAME="eth0"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="1c:1b:0d:9a:34:9a", NAME="eth1"

This worked fine on jessie, but on stretch it doesn't anymore.
I've solved the problem by net.ifnames=0; apparently the cause is rules
numbered 73..80 overwriting those set by 70-persistent-net.rules

You also shouldn't use eth0/eth1 because the races aren't fully solved;
using descriptive names like lan0/out0 has the extra benefit of marking
which interface is used for what purpose.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.