    Samuel> Hello, Sam Hartman, le mer. 18 sept. 2019 16:46:14 -0400, a
    Samuel> ecrit:
    >> We could stop caring about sysvinit (which isn't quite the same
    >> thing but is related).  That would leave non-linux ports in an
    >> unfortunate position.  But right now there are no non-linux ports
    >> in the main archive.  So perhaps we don't even care about that.

    Samuel> Not being in the main archive does _not_ mean we don't care
    Samuel> about it.

What I'm trying to say is that were the project to drop sysvinit, it
would make things harder for the non-Linux ports.

I think that if there were any non-Linux ports in the main archive, the
project should either keep sysvinit or remove the non-Linux ports from
the main archive when it dropped sysvinit.

I think you've done a good job of summarizing the argument in favor of
caring about the non-Linux ports:

    Samuel> A problem with sticking to systemd only is that it means
    Samuel> sticking to linux only, and not leaving any room for any
    Samuel> alternative, since systemd is not to be seen ported on any
    Samuel> non-linux.  I don't think we want to care only about linux,
    Samuel> for various reasons.

    Samuel> I'm not saying maintainers should spend time on maintaining
    Samuel> init files etc. but at least leave room for people who want

Obviously if we had a vote the project could choose to agree with you or
not.