On Mon, Feb 07 2022, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> If we can't do anything else, I suspect we can reduce project a
> friction a lot of we only subject packages to copyright hazing when it
> is a NEW source package, and not when there is a NEW binary package
> caused by some usptream maintainers not being able to maintain ABI
> backwards compatibility.

Yes.

Also, with backports.  When packaging up Go packages, which require all
their little dependencies to be independent packages, I have probably
gone through more than 50 NEW reviews in the past few months.  unstable,
bullseye, and buster backports.  This process is not yet finished for
some packages.

Another related problem is with languages like Go; when a package adds a
dependency, suddenly I can't upload new releases to unstable properly
until all the deps have made it through NEW.

- John