Niels Thykier:
[...]

Btw, `debhelper` has a `dh_assistant` command that can do some very basic analysis as well. Not sure any of it is useful for editor integration (especially because some of the features requires that it receives the same arguments as `dh` or/and `dh_auto_configure`).   Personally, I have used `dh_assistant detect-hook-targets` to detect which overrides that `dh` would pick up (relies heavily on "Build-Depends: dh-sequence-foo" style add ons though). Admittedly, not in an editor context but if you can combine it with something that reads known make file targets, you could get a "override_typo looks like an override target but `dh` does not recognize it"-style warning out of it.

Maybe I should just add that feature directly to `dh_assistant`. Then you can have one more command for your checklist! :D

Best regards,
Niels

Ok, added this to debhelper/13.11.10:

$ apt satisfy 'debhelper (>= 13.11.10), libtext-levenshtein-perl'
$ dh_assistant detect-unknown-hook-targets [--output-format=json]

The code can have false positives - especially if you use `dh ... --with ...`. In that case, you have to pass the same `--with ...` to `dh_assistant` to avoid the false positive. All the more reason to use declarative `Build-Depends: dh-sequence-foo`.

For machine output use the JSON format (lintian/lintian-brush, etc.). The text output is subject to change. MRs for improvements welcome at https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debhelper/

End sidebar/thread hijack.

Best regards,
Niels