On Sat, 2024-01-20 at 23:43 -0800, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:

> PS. Related, these are commands I frequently run manually but don't
> have any editor integration for:

Thats beginning to look like the history of check-all-the-things.

Initially I maintained such a list of commands on the wiki:

   https://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian#Check_points_for_any_package

Then later I worked on a tool to replace that to ease maintenance.

Jakub Wilk was in parallel working on a second implementation.

Eventually I found out and since his tool had a better design but mine
had a better name ;) then we joined forces to work on his together:

https://github.com/collab-qa/check-all-the-things

I haven't had the motivation to work on it for some years though, but I
keep adding TODO items/ideas to a local tree just in case that changes.

There are of course a ton of other tools with the same aim out there,
but almost all of them are aimed at web output or editor output etc,
while check-all-the-things is currently aimed at command-line users,
and most other tools have a more complex process to add new checkers.

I cannot recommend running it on a source tree you don't trust, because
it currently has no sandboxing mechanisms so the source tree could
contain exploits for the QA tools that it may run. Now that debvm and
bwrap etc exist, there is the potential for this to be fixed nicely.

If SARIF support were ever to be implemented, there is the potential
for it to produce machine-readable output and thus be useful for
editors and to become the basis of Debian-wide static/dynamic analysis,
perhaps as an integral part of Debusine when that happens.

https://github.com/collab-qa/check-all-the-things/issues/4

--
bye,
pabs