Early in this meta-thread it was suggested to separate /tmp-is-tmpfs
from cleanup-of-{,/var}/tmp.  I am really surprised that nobody has
suggested the obvious separation of new installs from upgrades.

Changing the local configuration for either feature is trivial either
way.  I think the proposed changes are reasonable for _new_
_installations_.  However, making configuration changes on upgrade that
may potentially cause significant problems, even if only for a small
number of users, and even if they are currently abusing tmp directories,
seems unnecessary to me.

The release notes can say "The defaults for new installations have
changed.  For upgrades, if it will not cause a disruption on your
system, you can get the new behavior by changing these configuration
files...."

Personally, I believe (for upgrades) changing tmp-is-tmpfs will have
much less disruptive effect overall than the cleanup of /var/tmp, but I
don't see any reason to force either change on upgrade.

...Marvin