Holger Levsen <hol...@layer-acht.org> writes:

> I'm a bit surprised how many people seem to really rely on data in /tmp
> to survive for weeks or even months. I wonder if they backup /tmp?

I use /tmp for things that fall somewhere between "needs a backup" and
"unimportant, can be deleted whenever". I think all of the issues raised
(disappearing files from git checkouts, old files in unpacked
tarballs/debootstraps/downloads, autopkgtests, 3rd-party-software, bad
choices in tmux/ssh-agent/etc) fall into that spectrum: It's not that
the data is critical, but losing it creates more work -- what is the
reason for accepting that 'risk'?

btw, i'm not trying to argue against the change, but i dont yet
understand the rationale (which id like to be put into the
release-notes): is there perhaps something more compelling than "other
distributions and upstream already do this"?