Am 07.05.2024 22:56 schrieb Richard Lewis <richard.lewis.deb...@googlemail.com>:

Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:

> qwhat would
> break where, and how to fix it?

Another one for you to investigate: I believe apt source and 'apt-get
source' download and extract things into /tmp, as in the mmdebootstap
example mentioned by someone else, this will create "old" files that
could immediately be flagged for deletion causing surprises.

`apt download` and `apt source` download to your current working directory. Same for apt-get.

(People restoring from backups might also find this an issue)

I would not expect people to restore to /tmp and expecting that restore to work across a reboot.

And to be honest, I find the expectation to have any guarantee on files in /tmp or /var/tmp across a reboot quite surprising. The directories are named "tmp" because they are meant as temporary storage, which implies automatic deleting at some point IMHO.

Now, bad choices by various tools have been mentioned, so a cleaner for these directories that runs outside a reboot has to be careful anyhow. But during a reboot? I don't think that should be too much of a problem.

Cheers,
Sven