I would like to respectfully disagree will some of the opinions expressed in
this email.

First, I should say that I am painfully aware of how long it takes to run
lintian on large
packages.  When working on qtwebengine-opensource-src it takes my system (Ryzen
7
5700G) about 2 hours to build the package and about half an hour to run lintian
against it.
I would be completely in favor of any efforts that could be made in the
direction of making
lintian more efficient, either within lintian itself or in other packages that
replicate some or
all of lintain’s functionality in more efficient ways.

However, I personally find lintian to be one of the most helpful tools in
Debian packaging.
When going through the application process I found lintian to be a very useful
tool in
helping me learn how to produce packages that conform to Debian’s standards.
The
integration of lintian into mentors.debian.net was very helpful to me when I
first started
submitting packages to Debian, and it is still helpful to me when reviewing
other people’s
packages that have been submitted to mentors.debian.net.

As I type this email I am building an update to qtwebengine-opensource-src.  So
far, lintian
has caught two problems with this release that I would have otherwise missed.
I admit that
I am fairly new as a Debian Developer, and perhaps as I gain greater experience
I would get
to the point where lintian never catches things I miss.  But I don’t personally
expect that to
ever happen, because there are too many corner cases or opportunities for typos
that
computers are much better at catching than humans.

I do understand that lintian is in need of a lot of work.  I personally have an
open MR
against the package that fixes a check that is wrong more often than it is
right (with both
false positives and false negatives).  The fix is relatively simple and makes
the check 100%
accurate as far as I can tell.  However, after over a year, it has yet to be
reviewed.

https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/merge_requests/461[1]

I must admit that I have been sorely tempted to get involved with maintaining
lintian
because I feel it is so important.  So far, I have resisted that temptation
because I am
already involved in a decade-long effort to clean up Qt WebEngine in Debian and
get it to
the point where it has proper security support.  I haven’t wanted to spread
myself too thin
and end up accomplishing nothing because I tried to do too much.  But if
lintian’s need
increases or if my existing commitments decrease I would be happy to find
myself involved
with lintian maintenance.

Soren