On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 17:18 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[...]
> > "Because I don't wanna play by the rules!" is not a rationale.  So you have
> > to specify a path -- so what?  The way things stand at the moment, if I were
> > to drop a gettext.sh in my ~/bin (which is quite likely, except that I don't
> > like to put a .sh on my helper scripts) your shell scripts would suddenly go
> > tits-up in a most unpleasant fashion.  Personally, *that* would be enough to
> > make me want to hardcode the path.
[...]
> That is why you normaly have ~/bin last in PATH.

Not if you're using Debian's default install of bash you don't
(admittedly they're commented out by default, but...):

   # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
   if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
       PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
   fi

More to the point, putting ~/bin last in PATH breaks most of the reasons
for having it there in the first place (being able to override
system-installed versions).

Adam