So I've decided that I don't feel like waiting any longer for the
wishlist bug for syslog output from dpkg to be implemented.  I've
written a little shell wrapper that will do this for me, and will make
it available if anyone likes - I may send it here for cricitism
regardless.

However, I realize that this is really not the right approach, it's just
expedient.  I'd be quite happy to patch dpkg (my needs are simple, so I
don't think it'd be hard), but I don't want to bother unless I think
it'll be integrated.  So I'm writing this to find out how it should be
written such that it'll be most likely to be incorporated.  Thoughts,
opinions, flames?