Hi,

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> The build log is available on
> https://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/installer/cdimage/daily/debian-cd.log

This mentions grub_embed two times when xorriso gets its name and when
xorriso reports to have used it. But i see no hint how this files gets
created.
It would be interesting to know which documentation and which GRUB
modules lead to that binary.

I googled for "grub_embed". The best match was your changelog
entry from 2014:

  Add usb key boot support for kfreebsd & hurd images. This needs another
  grub image, grub_embed, which has to be very small. Add x86-image script,
  similar to efi-image script, with factorized grub-cpmodules part, to build
  minimal grub images with iso9660 and biosdisk support, and put GRUB modules
  on the ISO image.

I was unable to find kFreeBSD ISOs which have an MBR.

Would that "x86-image script" explain more ?
(https://sources.debian.net/src/debian-cd/unstable/ throws "Internal
 Server Error", so i cannot currently explore debian-cd myself.)

> xorriso is version 1.3.2

It's fully sufficient, although quite old.

> > Do you see the same effects in your tests ?

> Yes. And also with linux/kfreebsd images.

Not with amd64 (can't get i386 to boot with -bios OVMF.fd on my amd64
machine).

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso
With SeaBIOS, ISOLINUX is in charge and works fine.
With OVMF, GRUB2 is in charge and works fine.

The kFreeBSD mini ISOs i have indeed show the same display problem as
the newest Hurd NETINST.
But debian-7.9.0-kfreebsd-amd64-netinst.iso is OK with SeaBIOS.
It has GRUB 1.99 (which is a GRUB2 before its first official release).

So currently it looks like the problem is with GRUB 2.02 on (Sea)BIOS.
I will ponder how to reproduce it with grub-mkrescue.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas