Hi Mike,

On 29.07.23 06:40, Mike Hosken wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a rx2660 ia64 machine, I’m wanting to install Debian on and
have run into some issues. The Debian 12 ia64 installation disk won’t
boot. I get to grub and choose install, it starts to boot and then
the system reboots. Choosing expert mode causes the same issue.
Thinking it might be hardware I tried the earlier install cd and
managed to install successfully but unfortunately the system breaks
trying to update to the latest Sid version. I’m thinking it might be
kernel parameters.

I have always blacklisted the "radeon" module for my rx2660s:

```
modprobe.blacklist=radeon
```

...but that could require to use it over iLO MP exclusively, which is not too bad or too hard to do (via both telnet and serial). IIRC you should get the default configuration by pushing the button at the rear for a longer time (see e.g. [1] for details about its functionality) and then login over serial (9600 bps, 8n1) with "Admin:Admin". After configuring telnet access (or maybe it is configured per default already and uses DHCP) you can control it via the iLO MP network port, too.

E.g. to power on the machine enter command menu (or mode?) via "cm", then enter `ps -on -nc`. Hit "Ctrl+B" to return to the main menu and enter "co" to get to the system console. "Ctrl+B" also returns from the system console, if you need to issue a hard reset (in command menu enter `rs -nc`) for example.

My first rx2660 also still has:

```
hardened_usercopy=off
```

...in its kernel commandline, but I believe this is no longer necessary as it is deactivated in the Debian version of the Linux kernel for ia64 IIC.

HTH.
Cheers,
Frank