Hi Frank, John,

st 27. 9. 2023 v 21:57 odesílatel John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de> napsal:

> You're talking about the kernel here only though and not the toolchain
> or glibc. In glibc, for example, many of the tests are failing [1] with
> one of the glibc upstream maintainers telling me there is zero chance
> these issues are going to be fixed.

Oops, I didn't know that, I ran GMP tests, but not glibc ones, I just
assumed glibc shouldn't be broken.

My plan was to use a stable kernel with long support like the RHEL 9
kernel and maintain ia64 support there if we cannot prevent it from
being removed from mainline (which I understand might be better for
Linux development overall, since it will free the time of people
working on other subsystems who have to keep the ia64 parts of the
code in mind). But this is a problem, I'm going to look at the glibc
issues today (it is a holiday here) and also the current state of the
mainline kernel.

I was using the 5.15-stable branch on my machine and since it worked,
I used it for my experiements and didn't bother with looking into the
mainline much, until I noticed they are seriously going to remove
ia64.

Tomas