On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 09:23:43AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 12:02:46AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Linking a package with hardening=+all against a static library
> > from a package not using hardening=+all cannot work on the
> > affected architectures.
> For example hppa has pie masked for build flags. If the porters for
> alpha and/or ia64 consider that they should also get pie masked for
> those arches, I'm fine doing the changes.

Adrian, could you as porter request to get PIE masked on all ports
architectures?

This should fix FTBFS of more than a dozen packages on alpha/ia64/x32.

FTR, the current status in ports is:

1. Architectures defaulting to PIE
hurd-i386
powerpc
ppc64
sparc64

2. PIE already masked
hppa

3. affected architectures with several FTBFS due to it
alpha
ia64
x32

4. architectures where PIE is not masked but the dpkg PIE spec do not
   appear to make a difference
loong64
m68k
sh4

On Tue, Jul 04, 2023 at 01:12:48PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> PIE is unusual in being enabled by default on all release architectures,
> but not being enabled by default on some non-release architectures.
>
> With some teams like Debian Med putting hardening=+all into every source
> package, 20% of the source packages in the archive have it already set.
>
> This makes both sides of the PIE/non-PIE archive split on the affected
> semi-PIE architectures huge.

This is about the architectures in 3. above, where some FTBFS issues
will be fixed by dpkg no longer creating a PIE/non-PIE archive split.

I haven't checked whether the architectures in 4. have PIE always
enabled or do not support PIE at all.

> Thanks,
> Guillem

Thanks