Andrew Suffield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:36:30PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Requiring layered formats for
>> source is also going to result in PNGs being non-free in many cases.
>
> This sort of mindless sophistry accomplishes nothing. Requiring source
> does not make programs non-free. Failing to provide source is what
> makes programs non-free. The contents of the Debian archive is not
> non-free just because we require source.
>
> In most cases, requiring layered formats for source is going to result
> in getting layered formats for source. It is obviously the correct
> thing to be distributing; upstreams who have it but don't distribute
> it probably just didn't think of it.

Suppose I hired an artist to create some artwork for my programs
(logos, icons, etc.), and I was only given PNG files with the
completed images.  Would this make the entire package non-free?  Of
course I could as the artist for whatever "source" he might have,
which be may or may not be willing to give me, probably depending on
license terms and amount of payment.  Even if he did give me all the
"source" files he had, these could still be in a "bad" format
requiring non-free software to be useful (e.g. Photoshop).  How should
such cases be treated?

--
Måns Rullgård
[EMAIL PROTECTED]