Scripsit Barak Pearlmutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > ... To the extent that the GFDL caters for the wishes of publishers
> > at all, it is in that it makes it inconvenient for *competing*
> > publishers to publish and sell hardcopies. ...

> I'm not quite tracking you there.  The GFDL isn't supposed to have
> that effect, at least as I read it, and as I understood RMS's
> messages.

It's the only reason I can see why a publisher would prefer GFDL to
plain GPL. Do you see something that I'm missing?

> Maybe it does though, but even if so that's not really the
> point.  The FSF wouldn't consider such an effect desirable,

Sure? In many cases the FSF itself is the publisher, hence the
mandatory Cover Texts on GNU manuals saying that you're a bad person
if you buy a hardcopy not published by the FSF.

--
Henning Makholm             "Han råber og skriger, vakler ud på kørebanen og
                          ind på fortorvet igen, hæver knytnæven mod en bil,