On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 03:43:19PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> [...] I still think it would be hard for the defendant to
> convince a court that he was ignorant of the *de facto* convention
> that people put "(c)" in computer programs to assert their copyright.

Actually, the convention is "Copyright (c)", which meets the
requirements anyway because of the explicit "Copyright".  I've
never seen anyone put "(c)" by itself without the "Copyright".

(This is also why I'm wondering why this is being argued about
at all.  Just write "Copyright (c)" or just "Copyright" and be
done with it.  If you really want to save keystrokes and write
just "(c)", then don't come crying to me if you don't get
punitive damages :-)

Richard Braakman