On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 12:19 US/Eastern, Mathieu Roy wrote:

Do you think we already have the right to modify invariant text in the
GFDL?

Yes I do.
I can rewrite any idea expressed in any text, invariant or not.

You can do the same for the whole manual.

(I cannot rewrite any idea behind a software until I get access to the
sources. If I don't, it's only mimetism.)

Sure you can. But let's assume you can't. So, assuming you get the source to a program --- under the copyright terms "all rights reserved" --- would that be free? After all, you can rewrite any idea expressed in the software, and copyright law does not stop you.