On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:39:56 +0200, Francesco Poli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:00:28 -0300 Carlos Laviola wrote:
> > Maybe
> > when Christiaan, the current FIGlet maintainer, comes back from
> > vacation and release a new version with the license changes,
>
> Which license changes? To Academic Free License 2.1?
> If this is the case, I hope he changes his mind...

Yes, to the AFL. He might even have a different point of view, but
he's just figlet's current maintainer; copyright still belongs to the
individuals that developed figlet in the past -- which is why I'm
seeking their consent.

> > I'll just
> > *have* to upload to non-free. I don't know whether the current,
> > Artistic-licensed version still qualifies for main;
>
> I don't think so, as the DFSG-freeness of that old Artistic license is
> questionable, IIRC.
> Moreover there are unsolved issues with unclearly licensed files.
> Worse: there are possibly undistributable files and this means the
> package is perhaps not even suitable for the non-free section, until you
> obtain clarification from relevant copyright holders...

The files you refer to -- zipio.[ch], inflate.[ch], crc.[ch] were all
written by Ed Hamrick, which has agreed to put them on the public
domain. In fact, he practically begged me to remove his name from said
files, he didn't want anything to do with them anymore, etc. when I
asked him to formally relicense them. (don't know what would be the
big deal, since it would probably take him fewer time than it took me
to write this message, but hey, he's got his own business to run.)

> > all I do know is
> > that the people who held copyrights on FIGlet in the past are still
> > very much interested in keeping it free software. *sigh*
>
> I'm sure I follow you correctly here: are you saying that many FIGlet
> copyright holders are willing to let FIGlet be free software?
> This would be great news...

Indeed, but what we think is free software is not what everyone else
does. Even the FSF, as we all know from the troubled GFDL.

> > This is a call for help; if you have some time, please subscribe to
> > the figlet mailing list and start a discussion on this subject or
> > something.
>
> Well, you are the Debian maintainer, hence you know upstream better than
> I do.
> You have more chances in being successful.

As a matter of fact, I had taken maintainership of figlet less than
two weeks ago, and your bug report came in 2 days after that, but
they've been cooperative up until this dead end.

Regards,

--
Carlos Laviola
[EMAIL PROTECTED]