Brian Thomas Sniffen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >>Huh?  If a driver requires a firmware blob be copied from a driver CD,
> > Please repeat after me: "drivers do not require firmwares, hardware
> > devices require firmwares".
>
> And the driver requires a functioning hardware device.  Thus, the
> loadable firmware is in the dependency tree of the software Debian
> ships.

There are two slight problems with your argument here:

(1) You wrote "a functioning hardware device", i.e. not necessarily
the particular device that requires the particular firmware.

(2) If a driver requires "a functioning hardware device", then
presumably Debian can't ship the driver in main because Debian doesn't
include any hardware devices in any part of its distribution!