On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:44:37AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> >Huh?  If a driver requires a firmware blob be copied from a driver CD,
> Please repeat after me: "drivers do not require firmwares, hardware
> devices require firmwares".

The driver is opening a block of data on disk, reading it and sending it
to the hardware.  If that data does not exist, the driver will be
incapable of driving the hardware.  For the driver to work, in addition
to installing it and the hardware device, you have to find and install
a copy of the firmware to where the driver expects to find it.

Both the driver and the hardware require this block of data to be useful.
This is a clear-cut Depends:.

--
Glenn Maynard