On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 07:04:36PM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
> The license says "You may not use technical measures to obstruct or
> control the reading or further copying of the copies you make or
> distribute."  It does not say "... control the reading or further
> copying of the copies you make or distribute by someone who possess a
> copy" or "... control the reading or further copying of the copies you
> make or distribute by someone who can read the copy" or anything of
> the sort.

It's implicit.  Only someone who has a copy can read it or make further
copies.  If someone doesn't have a copy, they can't do that.  Put simply,
file permissions control access, not the ability to read or copy.  To be able
to read or copy depends on having access, but it is not equivalent to
having access.

I think we can agree that the license is badly worded, but I can't see how
this would lead to a real-world problem.

--Adam