On 3/30/06, MJ Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Raul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > On 3/27/06, MJ Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Those ludicrous conclusions do not follow logically from the claim,
> > > for such reasons as simple plane carriage not being a technical
> > > measure under the relevant definitions presented here so far.
> >
> > Which definitions would those be?
>
> For example,
>   the expression "technological measures" means any technology, device or
> component that, in the normal course of its operation, is designed to
> prevent or restrict acts, in respect of works or other subject-matter,
> which are not authorised by the rightholder of any copyright or any
> right related to copyright as provided for by law or the sui generis
> right provided for in Chapter III of Directive 96/9/EC.
>   [EUCD (2001/29/EC) Article 6 (3)]

Excellent, I can agree with this definition.

So how is it that chmod fits this definition while a wooden
door, or a power switch, does not?

None were designed to prevent copyright violation.  All have some
rudimentary ability to prevent copies from being made by someone.

> > Can we agree that the FDL prohibits people who make copies from
> > obstructing other people from reading copies?
>
> No. The FDL prohibits some types of copying, not people.

If you meant to address the question I asked (rather than the
first seven words of the question), could you rephrase that?

> > http://www.answers.com/technical
> > http://www.answers.com/measures
>
> I don't believe that's the sense in the FDL. If it were, far more
> things would be restricted. I think FDL uses an EUCD-like meaning.
>
> Either way, using that definition still leads one to conclude
> the FDL is not usable for free software. If you wish to argue
> for that definition, you are arguing even more strongly than I
> am that FDL is unsuitable for main! Hence, I cannot understand
> your support for FDL on this topic.

This interpretation which "argues even more strongly ...
that the FDL is unsuitable for main" is also contradicted
by the obvious meaning of the GFDL.

So that interpretation must be flawed.

--
Raul