Dear legal aware folks,

I have recently adopted [1]gimp-gap. While reviewing it, I noticed that the copyright notice written on almost every file is inaccurate. It reads

 THE GIMP -- an image manipulation program
 Copyright (C) 1995 Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis.

 <etc.: standard GPL notice follows>

Everything in there looks wrong:
 - the software is gimp-gap, a plug-in for GIMP, not GIMP itself;
 - the changelog spans 2002—2008;
 - the authors are not those listed above.

I sent a e-mail to one of the authors raising my concerns and asking him to clarify the copyright, in particular the copyright holder (is their intent to yield their copyright to the orignal GIMP authors?)

He answered basically that the license itself is clearly stated (which is true), and that since it is GPL, the copyright is unimportant and I shouldn't care.

Now, should I? If yes, could you give me a couple of arguments I could use to convince the authors to do something about it?

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/gimp-gap

Best regards, Thibaut.