Francesco Poli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:41:08 +0200 Hendrik Weimer wrote:
>
>> Francesco Poli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [...]
>> > Did you point RMS' message [4] out to the FSF when you contacted them?
>>
>> I did.
>
> And how did they explain the difference in their conclusions?!?

They didn't. However, I am not sure whether RMS's message can be
considered as official position of the FSF.

>> As far as I can see, the main argument against this license here on
>> debian-legal was that the FSF (or RMS) had considered such licenses to
>> be invalid.
>
> I don't think this is an accurate summary of the debian-legal
> discussion on the topic.
>
> The main argument was that the license (GPLv2 + restrictions) is
> self-contradictory and thus invalid.
> This conclusion was *confirmed* by RMS, who basically brought the same
> argument.  However, I think the argument holds even if RMS and/or the
> FSF change(s) his/their mind(s) afterwards, unless he/they bring(s) new
> data to support his/their new opposite conclusion...

As was already pointed out in the previous thread, this interpretation
relies on that the "no further restrictions" clause applies to GPLv2 +
restrictions, not to GPLv2 alone.

I fully agree with you that the Liberation Font license is
sub-optimal, however I do not see a scenario where distribution of the
fonts by Debian led to legal trouble or a violation of the DFSG. Can
you think of such a situation?

Hendrik