"Bernhard R. Link" <brl...@debian.org> writes:

> If this is the case, then I guess we have quite an big problem, as I
> guess such code and especially data is to be found in quite a large
> amount of places.

Actually, I don't think that's much of an issue. Software seems to be
mostly unaffected as US government entities usually properly license
their works, e.g., under the NASA Open Source Agreement in NASA's
case.

When it comes to images and related data I suppose there will be more
problems. FlightGear (the LaRCSim code seems to miss proper licensing
anyway) and VegaStrike are probably affected. Celestia seems to use
ESA data (for which I could not find a license, but that's another
story).

Maybe we also should contact our friends at Wikipedia and other open
content projects. I've documented this issue in a blog post
(http://www.quantenblog.net/free-software/us-copyright-international),
which might be used as a reference.

Hendrik