Hello, Francesco!
You wrote to debian-legal@lists.debian.org on Fri, 5 Jun 2009 22:49:28 +0200:

>> > Interesting: could you point me at the specific article that states
>> > this rule in http://www.copyright.gov/title17/  ?
>>
>> The issue was raised on this list before. I tried to describe my
>> understanding of it in
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/12/msg00003.html . But it
>> was long ago and I didn't revisit it since then.
>
> Very interesting reading.
>
> What I wonder now is: why I see many copyright holders and copyright
> licenses in, say, /usr/share/doc/xfonts-base/copyright ?

Because it's tradition?:-)

And after you are done with bitmap fonts you can look at autotraced
fonts (e.g. cm-super). Both questions of source and of
copyright/license for them are interesting.

BTW here is an idea how to get many free scalable fonts: rasterize all
interesting non-free fonts at high resolution and autotrace them.
Quality will be lost to some degree but with luck you will get good
enough fonts.

There are many things to wonder (apart from legal system:-)...

Alexander Cherepanov