On 25/01/15 15:54, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 11:36 PM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I came across a curiosity while updating the wine package today.  I
>> noticed that upstream wine generates one of their source files from
>> the contents of RFC3454 [0].
>>
>> There is a tool (tools/make_unicode) that among other things downloads
>> the RFC from rfc-editor.org and generates nameprep.c.  That process is
>> done upstream, not in the Debian build system.
>>
>> So, obvious question is whether data generated from something
>> currently considered non-free can itself be considered free?
>>
>> I did a quick search and came up with at least one other instance of a
>> package using RFC3454 this way, libidn [1].
>
> It looks like what they do in libidn is claim that the data lacks
> originality and then reduce the RFC itself to the raw data after some
> semi legal analysis [2].

Ah, so it isn't copyrightable. That's a relief!

P.S. Also, I just looked at the unicode-data package, and it seems to be
a contract, as opposed to a license. I wonder if this is DFSG-free...

NOTICE TO USER: Carefully read the following legal agreement. BY
DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING UNICODE INC.'S DATA
FILES ("DATA FILES"), AND/OR SOFTWARE ("SOFTWARE"), YOU UNEQUIVOCALLY
ACCEPT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY, ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF
THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, COPY,
DISTRIBUTE OR USE THE DATA FILES OR SOFTWARE.